Kemba Walker, Hornets reportedly agree to 4-year, $48M contract

Kemba-Walker-102814-AP-FTR.jpg

Kemba Walker is getting paid in his second contract. The Hornets are keeping one of their franchise cornerstones.

The point guard and the team have agreed on a four-year, $48 million contract that will begin in the 2015-16 season, ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported Tuesday. Charlotte has until Friday to sign Walker to a new deal; after that, he can become a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

Hornets owner Michael Jordan told the The Charlotte Observer's Rick Bonnell earlier in the day that he wanted to wrap up an agreement well before Friday.

“I’d much rather get Kemba done before the season starts,” Jordan told Bonnell. “Ultimately that’s what I intend to accomplish. We’re in real conversations. I’m hopeful. Really hopeful.”

Charlotte will open Wednesday at home against the Bucks.

Walker, 24, was a first-round pick of the then-Bobcats (ninth overall) in 2011 after he led Connecticut to a national championship. He has improved steadily over his first three pro seasons. In 2013-14, he averaged 17.7 points and 6.1 assists, both career highs, in 73 games.