The College Football Playoff committee released its first Top 25 rankings Tuesday, and in 40 days they will make their final decision. With that in mind, here are 40 questions that answered in the meantime.
1. Will everybody over-react to the first set of playoff rankings? People can be mad at real-life people instead of a computer now. Taylor Swift and “The Voice” might have their hands full on Twitter tonight.
2. Will Louisville beat Florida State on Thursday? If Will Gardner sets the night on fire. Gardner hasn’t thrown an interception in three home games this season. Even then, the Cardinals need a ton of breaks.
3. Will anybody beat the Seminoles in the regular season? Haters gonna hate, but Florida State takes a 28-game win streak to the ACC championship game. This comes with the Jameis Winston disclaimer.
4. Could the SEC West end in a five-way tie? If LSU beats Alabama, Alabama beats Mississippi State and Auburn, Auburn beats Ole Miss and Ole Miss beats Mississippi State, we might get there. Stay tuned.
5. Does ESPN have SEC bias? Not really, but they are really into saying they don’t have SEC bias. For what it's worth, the network's three best color analysts — Kirk Herbstreit, Chris Spielman and Brian Griese — are Big Ten guys.
6. Will two SEC playoff teams make the College Football Playoff? Only if Alabama or Auburn is the second team.
7. What is the best game left on the schedule? Mississippi State at Alabama on Nov. 15. The Bulldogs have the No. 1 ranking and Dak Prescott, but the Crimson Tide might still be favored. Let that sink in.
8. Next best game? The Iron Bowl.
9. One more? Ohio State at Michigan State on Nov. 8. Until Michigan get its act together, this is the Big Ten’s showcase showdown.
10. If the brothers Harbaugh say no, who would be an out-of-nowhere candidate for the Michigan job? Bret Bielema. It’s a win-win situation. Bielema could win some conference games, and if anybody could fix a rushing attack ...
11. Would Bielema really leave the SEC? He’s 0-12 in the SEC. He went 37-19 at Wisconsin.
12. Most disappointing team not named Michigan or Florida? South Carolina. If the Gamecocks don’t sweep Tennessee and Florida, the possibility of a 6-6 season sets in. It’s now-or-never, Clemson.
13. Would Steve Spurrier really leave for Florida? No, but the Gators would be a whole lot cooler if he did.
14. Who would be an out-of-nowhere candidate for the Florida job? Rich Rodriguez. He entertained the Alabama job once upon a time. See how we came full circle from the whole Michigan thing?
15. Will Marshall go undefeated? Yes. Rakeem Cato could get the Jordan Lynch-like courtesy invite as a result. Don’t hate the Thundering Herd.
16. Will Dak Prescott win the Heisman Trophy? He’s 1A, but Marcus Mariota is 1B.
17. Will Jameis Winston be in New York for the Heisman presentation? Yes.
18. Who wins the Heisman? One of those three quarterbacks.
19. Who should win the Heisman? One of these running backs: Wisconsin’s Melvin Gordon, Nebraska’s Ameer Abdullah or Indiana’s Tevin Coleman. Running backs are still allowed to win the Heisman, right?
20. Does Notre Dame deserve to be in the college football playoff? If the Irish go 11-1, then it’s not even a debate.
21. Are Kansas State and TCU playoff posers? Absolutely not. Both challenged for a spot in the BCS championship game a few times. This isn’t a new development.
22. Which team do you like better? The one that hung 82 points on Texas Tech last week. Though a 75-year-old Bill Snyder crashing the playoff party would be a great story.
23. Do you know a hot coaching candidate? Toledo’s Matt Campbell is 40 years younger than Snyder. He’s also 22-12 since taking over at Toledo. The former Mount Union defensive lineman knows about winning, and he’ll move up the ladder fast.
24. Which school haven’t we mentioned yet? Georgia. We did that in the preseason, too. If only they played in the SEC West.
25. Will Todd Gurley play again this season? Let’s hope so. The punishment doesn’t fit the crime.
26. Who is your favorite player to watch? Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa, and it’s not even close. Did you see what he did to Penn State’s Akeel Lynch last weekend? It’s better than Jadeveon Clowney’s hit.
27. Why hasn’t ESPN shown that on a constant loop? I don’t know, but there might be a term for it. Something involving bias.
28. Did you get all your preseason conference championship picks right? Doubtful, but it isn’t that bad.
29. SEC then and now? Had Alabama vs. Georgia. Sticking with it.
30. Pac-12? Had Oregon vs. UCLA. Let’s go Oregon vs. Arizona. Rematch.
31. Big Ten? Had Ohio State vs. Wisconsin. Want to stick to it because it’s entirely possible, but Michigan State vs. Nebraska makes more sense. Rematch.
32. ACC championship? Had Florida State vs. North Carolina. Yikes. Let’s amend to Florida State vs. Duke.
33. Who were your preseason playoff picks? Oklahoma, Oregon, Alabama, Florida State.
34. What about the title game? Oklahoma over Oregon.
35. What’s your excuse for that? Katy Perry told Trevor Knight to call her. That, and you know, football stuff.
36. Well, who are your playoff picks now? Notre Dame, Oregon, Alabama, Florida State. The Ducks edge the Spartans for the final spot.
37. Notre Dame-Florida State rematch in the semifinals? Why not?
38. Who plays in the title game? Alabama vs. Florida State.
39. Would America really be rooting for Nick Saban over Jimbo Fisher? Taylor Swift is on “The Voice," and the Cowboys are the best team in the NFL. Anything can happen.
40. Who wins it all? Roll Tide.